Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sombrero celebrations!

My nephew Jack's baseball team made the playoffs and we went to watch the nailbiter against the first place team.

I love this picture of Kendra and Big Jack (my brother in law, Jack's, dad).

Some mistakes on the field coupled with bad calls by the umpires resulted in a one point loss.  Sigh.  It was, however, the day before Kendra's birthday and a few days before we were leaving, and we had yet to go to the favorite Mexican restaurant in my sister's town.  So the bummed out boys (Jack and Jack) agreed to go out to eat with us there.  As we discussed it at the field, we said it would be a celebration of the great baseball season and also Kendra's birthday the next day.

So we got in the car, and Kendra told me that she really did NOT want the focus to be on her at all that night.  She felt really bad for Jack and the fact that his team lost, and she wanted the dinner to be a celebration of how hard they worked all season and not be about her.  How great is my kid?  So when we got there, I told Erin that and she smiled and said that was really nice of Kendra.  Luckily, Jack bounced out of his sad mood and we all enjoyed a nice meal.

Me and my cute neph


Erin and Kendra

See?  The mood got much better.  What a ham-bone.

After we ate my sister disappeared for a moment, and when she got back she whispered to me that she arranged for the birthday surprise that this restaurant does for Kendra.  How nice was that?  We were all ready to go and they were taking forever, so Erin diverted Kendra's attention by showing her every single picture on her phone! 

Finally they arrived, and the look on Kendra's face was priceless because she had said she didn't want to have the celebration.  Sadly, I didn't get the shocked look on camera!
The servers bring this ginormous sombrero and sing a birthday song (in Spanish of course), and serve this creamy dessert (I want to say it is Dulce de Leche, but I could be thinking of a totally different culture!)

The funniest part is during part of the song the waiter takes the spoon and dips it in the whipped cream, then he plops it on the birthday girl's nose!

It was a nice surprise for Kendra, thanks to her really nice aunt who didn't want her to miss out on the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment