Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pool time and power outages

We were invited to a friend of my sister's neighborhood pool for an afternoon.  It was plenty hot in Michigan this summer, so I even got in the pool and tossed the kids around some!  My sister had to leave shortly after we got to the pool as she is working on some master's classes, so it was just me, five kids, and Kelly's family.  Luckily, Kelly and I get along great so we had a really good time chatting and playing with the kids.

My friend Julie handed down this ADORABLE bathing suit to Kendra....had to have a picture of it!

I'm realizing now that this looks a bit like I am not wearing anything!!!  Ugh!  Trust me, there is a bathing suit behind Kendra!  :-)

That night we were at my sister's house after she got back from class and there was a pretty huge thunderstorm.  It was loud/strong enough to warrant Erin and I exchanging looks and motioning to take the kids to the basement to ride it out.  Kendra is terrified of thunderstorms---a phenomenon that has happened since we moved to Texas because Texas storms are usually doozies.  She was pretty scared during this one.  My sister's neighborhood ended up losing power, which is a rare thing since their lines are underground, so we deduced that a transformer must have been hit.  My bro-in-law was out of town for that night so I decided to stay over with Erin and the kids---I wouldn't want to be the lone adult overnight without power so I didn't want her to be either!  We ended up having a pretty good time!  We lit candles, my sister read a story to the kids by flashlight (Sylvester and the Magic Pebble), then they gathered to read another one.   The neighbors across the street brought over some pizza, and then the kids circled up to play a game of telephone.  That was a hoot, let me tell you!  Then it was decided that all five kids wanted to sleep in Erin's room with us, so we made up beds on the floor for everyone and had a campout.  The worst part was that it was still quite warm and we had no air moving, even with the windows open.  Luckily, the power switched back on at around 1 a.m., and Erin and I woke up when it did and went around turning all the light switches off and shutting windows so the air conditioning would work.  Always an adventure when Jack goes out of town for work!!!


Ok, this is the coolest picture, but I did something to my camera that turned it sideways and I can't get it to go back!  I have no idea what I did, and my picture software is very simplistic so I can't get it to rotate.  BUT, since it is a cool picture of the kids reading by flashlight, I hope you will turn your head to see it!!!

My sister reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment