Sunday, August 1, 2010

Birthday girl part 1

Kendra's ninth birthday happened while we were in Michigan.  The morning started with the traditional birthday pancake declaring the new age...
Had a little issue in the flip...it sort of looks like a "9"!

Tessa had stayed the night with us, so she and Kendra got started on party decorating while I made the cake and did some other party prep.



We finished doing all the party prep and had several hours before the family would arrive, so I took Kendra and Tessa to see the movie, Ramona and Beezus.  Such a cute movie!  I cried through the last third of it---what a sap!
Back to the party we went!  All Kendra requested for the family birthday party was to have dinner with our family and have a game of family kickball in my mom's front yard.   I wanted to maximize visiting time, so I ordered pizza and got a huge greek salad and breadsticks from local restaurants.  SO glad we didn't spend gobs of time in the kitchen!

We had our first kickball game shortly after almost everyone arrived.  My sister's family, my brother in law's parents and brother, my mom and Troy and Kendra and I made up the bunch to start.  Kendra's grandparents from Ohio drove up to be with us, too! 

Kendra decided MONTHS ago that she and her Aunt Erin were going to be the team captains. 
They chose teams...
Team Kendra

Team Erin

The Ohio grandparents were still on the road at this point, but they joined us later with Linda on Team Kendra and Dave served as impartial umpire.  Big Jack served as all-time pitcher for both teams.

Nice kick, Kendra!
Bama is SAFE at home!
Bro in law, Jack, took this one of me...he tried for some action shots but ended up cutting off my head in them! 
Grady participated behind the glass door, and was NOT happy about it.  He barked pretty much the whole time. 

We went inside and ate and then it was time for cake.  We don't go overboard with theme's for birthdays, as we are pretty simple folks.  Kendra and I went online to come up with a cake idea, and we found an idea for a sunglasses cake.  She has a super cute pair of silver sunglasses so I tried my best to make the cake look like them.
Kendra opened her gifts after we ate cake, and got some really cute things....
Love that sleep mask!
To stay somewhat in theme, the goody bags for the cousins included a pair of sunglasses for each of them. 
I love this stair-step picture!!!  What a bunch of cuties!  We wish the other two cousins could have been here, too! 

When I asked for a quote about her birthday party Kendra said, "It was great!"  How profound.  Oh well, she is only nine.  Glad she had a good time. 
Note, this is part 1 of birthday fun.  We always have a "friend" party when we get back to Texas, which will be this week.  Stay tuned for pics to come!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun. WHEN did she get this old! I mean really!

    Tell her we MISS her...and you of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kendra!!! Happy belated birthday. I wish we could have told you in person today at church! I remember the first time I met you outside of church when we first moved in and you were wearing your beautiful white baptism dress. Wow! What a fun year and now you are 9!! You sure are a sweet girl and we are so glad to have you as our neighbor!

    Love the cake Colleen!

    ReplyDelete