Monday, August 23, 2010

Fourth grade??? Really???

Wasn't the first day of kindergarten just five minutes ago?  For that matter, didn't Kendra just take her first steps?  Cliche, I know, but I can hardly believe I have a fourth grader.  Goodness! 

Well, Kendra was SO excited to go to school today.  She really loves school, and for that I am very glad.  I remember being the same way---picking out that "just right" outfit, so excited to meet my classmates.  

Because she goes to school with me, the day starts bright and early...

Today, she actually got up at 6:15 because we had a few extra things to do this morning for the BIG day.

Awww...don't you just hate waking up such a peaceful sleeper?

Clothes, shoes and supplies all laid out, ready to go.  She wanted a messenger bag this year, and we found this cute one at Children's Place for only 10 bucks.  Sweet.


One of the extra things...doing the nails.  Meant to do it this weekend, remembered at bedtime, so made plans to do them this morning. 
The other extra thing is Kendra wanted me to straighten her hair.  After the nails, we are ironing away, and all of the sudden Kendra says, "Um, I don't feel so good." and flew toward the toilet.  Oh man.  This CANNOT happen.  I asked if she needed food, or this...

Her reflux medicine.  We tried both.  She started feeling better pretty quick, and then she said she thinks it was actually the HEAT from the flat iron.  True enough, she had a sheen of sweat on the ole forehead, and getting away from the iron and blowing a fan in her face calmed things down.  Whew!

The requisite "outside in the front yard" photo.

Yep, fourth grade!  BTW...my good friend at school emailed me at the end of the day and said, "Hey, do you know your kiddo looks really grown up all of the sudden?"  Yeah, not going to straighten that hair much anymore.  Makes her look too old! 

Kendra and her bestie, R.  Look at those shoes.  K's are high toppers, R's are low toppers.  SO cute.

Kendra and her teacher.  Yep, you read right.   I'm her teacher this year.  Long hard thought and prayer coupled with unmitigated support from my boss led us to this decision.  Who gets to do this?  Not many people.  We have such a great relationship, we know it is gonna work.  I also have a group of amazing parents, and when I was very forthright and honest about having my own daughter in their child's class, they all supported me.  I also met with my kiddos about it today, and they are all super cool with it, too.  Neato, eh? 

6 comments:

  1. O.K, is she just the cutest girl EVER?
    I just love her outfit, the hair, nails, everything!! Wow! And you Colleen looked oh so fabulous as well!! How fun to be together in class every day.
    What a scare with the not feeling oh so good this morning. Phew!!!
    I'm glad it was a good first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh she looks so precious!!! and how cool to get THE COOLEST teacher?!!! that's going to be so much fun for you!!! what a lucky little girl you have. love the nails, the hair, the SHOES!!! too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I send my 3rd grader to Texas next year just so he can have you for fourth grade? I bet you're the best fourth grade teacher in the whole state!! I know you're the best mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO COOL that you get to be Teacher/Mom this year! It wouldn't work for everyone, but I agree that you two have a great relationship and it will be awesome.

    Just one question - what will she call you at school? Last year, Adam accidentally called his teacher "Mom" once and he was mortified. I guess in K's case, it will be understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, when did that happen????

    Cute girlies.

    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey gals, my 1st time on your blog. you always leave sweet, enthusiastic comments on ours. now we are leaving one for you. love the photos of you and her on 1st day!! so beautiful!! and the toes and the dog snoozing. love it! enjoy your year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete