Saturday, June 26, 2010

There's nothin' like the view from the cheap seats!

Remember that Alabama song?  It kept running through my head as my good friend Missie and I were climbing and climbing to get ourselves and our little chickens up to the nosebleed seats at the Ranger game! 

The evening started with us trying to figure out where on earth to park.  We were irritated that we had purchased our parking pass online for a discounted $7 because regular parking was $12, only to find out that it was $5 Friday for parking.  We drove around in circles finding full lots everywhere, but we actually found a great spot, parked and headed to the stadium.

We had "teacher appreciation" tickets that were half price, and we decided to get the cheapest we could find in the upper reserved area.  Turned out to be great seats because it drizzled rain for the first half of the game and we were protected by the cover at the top. 

The Rangers had been carrying a nice 10 game winning streak, so we were hoping for a great game.  Kendra told me that she hoped she wasn't a bad luck charm because it seems like every game she goes to the team loses. 
Of course, the food was a big attraction for the kiddos, starting with cotton candy!  The evening also included popcorn, roasted peanuts,  and Lemon Chills, which were VERY yummy frozen lemonade cups.  Kendra and I ate hot dogs at home and brought some drinks in a small lunchbag cooler to offset the costs of eating at the park, but you gotta have some of the treats!

It is really awesome that my really good friend's daughter is one of Kendra's closest friends,too.  Love how that works out!

Yep, that's a Rangers ballcap.  When in Rome....
We may have to adopt this team since our home club, the Detroit Tigers, are not much of a team to root for.  I'll never stop rooting for my Detroit Red Wings, though!
This is just a random shot of Kendra, but I thought she looked a lot like my little sis as a kid in this one!


Every Friday night, they have fireworks after the game, which was another reason we chose to go on a Friday.  Today happened to be the anniversary of Michael Jackson's death so they played a whole medley of his music during the fireworks show.  It was awesome!

That's a full moon out there behind the fireworks.  I loved how this picture turned out!

With the game starting at 7 and then fireworks after, it was after midnight before we got home.  The kids were pretty pooped out on the way home!  The little smile on Kendra's face tells you she was posing here...she never really fell asleep...
We had a great time!  It had been a long time since I have been to a game and Kendra never has been to a professional game.  Of all the sports, I just love going to a baseball game---I guess because it just feels so summery!  Funny note:  when we were getting ready to go to the game, she said something about going to the restroom before we left, and then she said, "I don't like having to use the Port A Potties."  Her frame of reference for ball games is attending her cousin's games and that is the only kind of restrooms available.  When she first saw the view of the field as we entered the section to our seats, I heard, "Oh my goodness!"  No worries about Port A  Potties, eh, Kendra? 

Sadly, the Rangers broke their winning streak and lost to the Astros.  Kendra said, "See, Mom?  I'm a bad influence."  Nah, Kendra.  You win some, you lose some. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how fun!! I love it!
    I hope you guys have a BLAST on your vacation!! I'm already missing you and wondering how we will enjoy the pool without you. Hopefully we will be able to see you again before we move. Who knows what's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete