Sunday, March 17, 2013

Our other spring break activities!

The majority of our week was spent in re-doing Kendra's bedroom (see previous post) but we did squeeze in some other fun (and not-so-fun) things as well.

First, Kendra started her break by flying to Utah to see her dad get married.  He flew her out on Thursday afternoon and she came home Sunday so it was a fast and furious trip. She got to see almost all of her family on her dad's side, which was fun for her.  Her new step-mom is really nice and she has two sons and two daughters, so Kendra now has step-siblings.  She really likes all of them a lot.  I like that she has other people to visit when she goes to see her dad.  Here's a picture of four of the five kids (her oldest son is on a mission for our church).


On Monday we took my car in for some service.  I had an issue with a headlight (replaced the bulb but still wasn't working) and I took it to the dealer first.  They were going to charge me $120 just to look at it, so we said we'd come back later.  Took it to a local oil change place that I really like and they said they could do an electrical diagnostic for half that price, so I told them go ahead.  $55 later and it turned out the replacement headlight I bought at a parts store was a bum light.  :-(  Lovely.  I guess it's good that it wasn't a larger electrical issue, but still!

Tuesday we took our REALLY shaggy doggie in for grooming.  At Christmastime we took her in and received a call saying they wouldn't groom her because she was biting.  What?  Seemed strange.  I tried brushing her myself and she was trying to bite the BRUSH, not me.  I trimmed up her face and let it go.  I got a recommendation from a friend for a certain groomer at the same place so decided to give it a go.  She did GREAT, but unfortunately because her fur had gotten so long she was matted all over the place so she had to get buzzed.  We thought we'd be taking home a little rat, but it doesn't look too bad at all and we've actually come to like how she looks.

I forgot to get a "before" picture, but trust me, she was a disaster!
Wednesday we checked out a new science museum in Dallas called the Perot Museum.  SO COOL.  It is four floors and was really, really neat.  Unfortunately it was spring break so even though they only sell a certain amount of tickets per time slot (a cool way to manage crowds), it was very busy.  We will definitely go back to see it again when it is less busy!
Hanging with the mammoth

They had a "create your own bird" activity


The sports area--Kendra served a volleyball while they recorded her motions
Then she could watch her form

We just thought this was cool.
Thursday we did a little shopping...Kendra had a gift card from her dad from Christmas to Aeropostale, so she bought three pairs of shorts, a pair of capris, and a lightweight hoodie jacket--she is getting all set for spring!

Friday was our theater day--we went to our favorite local community theater, The Artisan, and saw the children's show in the morning and volunteered and saw the mainstage show (Thoroughly Modern Millie) in the evening.  When you volunteer you get to see the show for free--we love it!

Saturday was spring cleaning day around the house and getting geared up to go back to school.  :-(  We also threw in some yard work this week (trying to de-weed my yard is a constant process---I inherited a mess when I bought this place!).  It's been a great week--lots of sleeping in, enjoying gorgeous weather, spending time with my favorite gal, and getting things done.   Spring break = success!

No comments:

Post a Comment