Sunday, March 17, 2013

Kendra's room re-do

The major project of our spring break was painting and re-decorating Kendra's bedroom.  It was the first room we fully decorated when we moved in six years ago, and it's the first room getting a re-do (and I have no plans to redo anything else in the near future---I do NOT like to paint!)

Here's Kendra's room when we first moved in...

We added baby pink and hot pink polka dots and a fun canopy soon after this.  I don't have any pictures of that (I don't know why) but you can see them both in this picture:

This is from Christmas this past year when she got her new bedding.  Because much of the accents in her room are pink and hot pink, like her desk chair, book bins, and round chair, the room re-do needed to incorporate pink somehow (since I'm not Mrs. Moneybags). We decided upon three colors and challenged myself with the task of painting straight lines on textured walls (what was I thinking???)

Step one done---a pewter grey on top


Step two--add a bold pink line.  Bottom is jagged because we will cover that next
Then came a small disaster.  We made our 7 millionth trip to the Orange Depot (you know the one), and we saw a glaze treatment that was supposed to add sparkle to the wall.  We consulted a HD paint person, who said we just apply it with an old t-shirt or sponge, and it was pretty easy.  Since Kendra's favorite color is "sparkle" and this treatment was less than $10, I thought, why not?  Well, here's why not:

Yep, just looks like dirty wall, doesn't it.  Well, the lovely HD associate failed to mention that you shouldn't use that glaze treatment on textured walls, nor on satin finish paint.  Both of which we have.  I could have cried.  It looked TERRIBLE and we had used all of the grey paint.  I knew we had to re-paint, though.  Luckily, the customer service at HD is also kind, and they gave us a new can of paint at no cost to apologize for the bad advice.  Unfortunately they couldn't give me back the time it took to re-tape and re-do it all!  Argh!

Here we are, a bit silly from paint fumes, I think...

The bottom half first coat---painting with black is NOT for sissies.  Had me worried...

But came out great with the second coat.  Repainted the grey next...
My helper---she did a FANTASTIC job.  She truly did half of the roller work!
Removing the tape and putting everything back...





It isn't completely finished yet.  I bought some white, black, and hot pink stars (different sizes) in vinyl to decorate and Kendra purchased five Broadway musical posters and framed them for the walls.  But we have to wait a couple weeks after painting before we can apply the stars, so I'm sure I'll have a post with the final result when we can put it all together!!  It was a lot of work, but it was really great to work together like we did to accomplish this project.  Kendra loves it!




3 comments:

  1. So cute!! I wouldn't have had the guts to do the black paint, but it looks awesome--truly striking. This really is a more "big girl" room. Well done, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh, it's like we were living identical lives over Spring Break! We also re-painted Jack's room, and did a stripe all the way around, just like yours! Taping is such a pain!

    That is seriously lame about the gray paint, glad you got it finished though and can enjoy the updated room! Love the gray with the pink.

    ReplyDelete