Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Starting February with snow!

We knew it was coming.  A lovely mix of sleet, freezing rain, thunderstorms, and then snow.  Around here, you never know if people are in panic mode or just cautious, so I believe it when I see it.  I always think it is hysterical that the masses rush to the grocery store because, heaven forbid, they might not be able to travel the roads for ONE WHOLE DAY.  In Texas, a snow event stops life, sure.  But only for about a day until it warms up.  MAYBE two days.  That's it.  Definately my kind of winter!  :-)

Many school districts cancelled last night, but ours did not.  A small part of me was hoping for school...I have SO much to do with my kids and our first state test is in a month.  Also, we don't have any weather days built in, so a snow day means I have a make-up day on a Saturday down the line.  At about 3 a.m. I was awoken by the sound of ice balls pelting my windows.  I woke up several more times in the next two hours to the same consistent sound, thinking that surely I would not have to drive in that!  When the phone rang at 5:15 I was thrilled!  Kendra shot up out of the bed, did a fist pump and shouted, "YES!"  I'm so grateful that they made the call before my shower this time! 

Unfortunately, it is pretty but bitter cold outside.  Currently it says 17 degrees on my computer screen, a far cry from the 78 degrees we had on Saturday.  So Kendra has only ventured out for two minutes to do a measurement of the snow. 
 Not nearly as much snow as our record breaker from last year, and it is clearly drifted here...you can still see grass in the background.  The issue here is that underneath that snow is crunchy ice!

Kendra is so much more prepared for our once-a-year snow events because of Papa Terry!  He sent her these cute boots last year after our big snow event.  They are a couple sizes too big, so they will last for years!  You can see the tag still on them...first time for these bad boys and they were awesomely warm!

Plans for today?  Fireplace, maybe some hot chocolate, a bit of school work, and snuggle time!  Yay for an unexpected day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment