Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New family pet

Kendra's dad likes to live vicariously through Kendra.  He loves animals, and he wants to experience ownership of many kinds of animals by buying them for Kendra.  So far, I've agreed to hermit crabs and aquatic frogs.  That would be in addition to the beta fish and the hound dog we already own.  Two summers ago he and his parents visited Michigan while we were there and tried to saddle me help Kendra rescue a distressed frog and turtle from a local creek.  The turtle died that night, and we found a happy home for the frog in the very nice man-made pond of the neighbor of my mom (the frog still abides there). Thank goodness. 

So last spring Kirk sprung upon me that he wanted to buy Kendra a chinchilla.  Um, no.  No, no, no.  Kirk is a researching kind of guy--doesn't make decisions about major purchases quickly.  He researched, I still said no.  Especially when I heard about daily dust baths.  Daily.  Dust.  Baths.  Um, again I say.  NO.

Kendra has wanted some kind of lizard creature for a long time.  I am not opposed to lizards, so to speak.  They are kinda cute sometimes.  I AM opposed to the very pricey set-up they require (heat lamps, wet and dry areas, etc).  So I told Kendra to tell her dad that instead of the chinchilla I would agree to a bearded dragon purchase.  He came the week before school started (he comes while I have meetings so he can spend the week with Kendra) and TA DA!  We now have a new family pet named Tex.  Kirk is big on making sure he gets the best of the best, so this beardie lives in quite the deluxe habitat.  He really is a cute fellow, and has been very personable---he lets you hold him a long time, sits on Kendra's shoulder for good bits of time, and has acclimated really well to his new place.  The pet store told us to expect that he wouldn't eat for several days but he ate on the second day we had him.  The REALLY cool thing about him is that he is 100% Kendra's responsibility.  She can open the cage, clean up the messes, feed him, water him, etc.  ALL by herself.  She couldn't do all of the care of any of the other pets we have (fish tank too heavy for her to carry to clean, hermit crabs bit her on first day so she was scared of them, etc).  She has morning and evening responsibilities with Tex, and she really enjoys interacting with him.  My argument for more animals has always been that I do not need one more thing to take care of---I already have a dog, fish, daughter, house, and 42 students to worry about.  But Kendra is fully in charge of Tex.  Except I buy the food (live crickets, by the way, who also have their own little house).  But Kendra takes care of him fully.  Cool. 

His name is Tex for the slight orange coloring he has---UT's colors are orange and white

On Kendra's shoulder---Seriously,I think he was posing!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Um, I don't know if I'm more disturbed by the lizard or the fact that you have 42 students. Wow! You are a Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I don't have them all at once...there are two classes who switch between two teachers--I teach reading, writing, grammar and spelling to both, then social studies to my homeroom.

    ReplyDelete