Monday, December 13, 2010

Award Winning Writing!

One of my new fourth grade teammates (Adam) came up with an idea to have a whole-school writing contest.  Each grade would have a winning writer (because you can't compare kindergarten writing to fourth grade writing, after all).  Each grade level team would decide how we wanted to handle the writing, and my team decided we would do it as a one-hour timed free-write.  The whole school wrote on the same topic--their favorite memory at our school.  Each teacher was to choose their top two writers to go to the "semi-finals" and Adam was to judge and decide upon a winner per grade level. Well, since I am teaching Kendra, I wanted to be sure nobody had reason to accuse me of bias so I had Adam also select my top two writers--I even had the kids only put numbers on their papers instead of names.  Well, Kendra's writing was selected as one of the top two in my class.  She was excited. 

Today, our principal stepped into the room and said he was there to pick up the fourth grade writing contest winner.  I was thrilled that the winner was in my class!  It was either Kendra or the other little girl in my top two, who is a very good writer.  Mr. D. said he would read the first line of the story to tell the winner, and as he started reading, up popped KENDRA saying, "YAY!!!!!"   What an awesome moment as a mom AND as a teacher!  Below is Kendra's story.  I publish this blog into a book each year, and I want to have this story included!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

Who is it? Could it be me? I was at school and I was in second grade. It was a month and a half before Christmas. Ever since first grade I knew second grade did a Christmas play and the role of Mary was out there. I really wanted to be Mary. I really thought I had it because I had dreams and every time Mrs. Kougias talked about it she looked at me in “that way”. I thought, “This was it. It had to be me.”



I waited for what felt like 5 billion years. Whenever we went to the carpet, I always said it must be my moment. Day after day. No, no, no, no, no, no. Then the day finally came. Mrs. Kougias said, “I would like to give out parts now.”


I told myself this is the big moment. My body automatically went into cross-everything form. I kept on saying silent prayers. A couple of days before, I heard Reagan ask Mrs. Kougias if she could be Mary so I was worried the part would go to her. I felt like I was going to burst. I was shaking so fast. I kept on getting more and more worried. My teeth were chattering like a skeleton. I said, “If I don’t get Mary, it will be ok”. So many people were getting their parts. But then I heard, “ DUN DUN DAAAAAA! The role of Mary goes to Kendra!” I almost jumped out of my socks. I did not scream out loud but I did in my head. Everyone clapped for me. I was so happy.


Before I knew it, it was time to go home. I tore through the halls to tell my mom. I went down the ramp screaming, “Aaaaahhhh!” I wanted to tell everyone from China to Israel! I was so happy to get the role. I learned that one tiny thing can make one big day amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow Kendra!! You are such a great writer. You made me feel like I was there and wanting the part of Mary just as much as you did! I'm so happy you got the part and I bet you were just lovely and did a wonderful job!!! Congrats on winning the writing contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kendra! Way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete