Sunday, April 17, 2011

Piano recital, leadership, Easter eggs, and beavers. Oh my!

PIANO RECITAL:  Yesterday, Kendra had her piano recital.  She looked so pretty in her red polka-dotted dress, so had to take a few pictures---outside our house and while she played.  I recorded her on my phone, too, but my phone ate it.  ARGH. 

This may be her last recital.  Kendra has HATED (yes, capital letters are warranted) piano since the very first day.  It is the only bone of contention in our home.  I don't have issues with her doing her homework, chores, etc.  But piano is a struggle.  It has been the result of many tears, arguments, and frustrations for the last year and a half.  Until now, I've been pretty unbending---I felt, and really still do feel, that piano is a great thing to learn;  it makes kids smarter, it helps in many of the other fine arts arenas (of which Kendra has interest) and is a serviceable talent in our church.  But I'm now at the point of wondering how long I should push her to keep doing something she truly detests.   So now I put the decision in her hands, and remarkably, she didn't immediately say she wanted to quit.  I guess the reasoning I've given all along has settled in.  I told her she has to decide shortly so I can give notice to her teacher if she wants to stop.  We'll see.

LEADERSHIP:  This week was the end of the grading period for our school, and we select several different recognitions at this time.  In my class, the students choose the Student of Virtue and the student who goes to the Principal's Lunch.  Each award has a character trait focus, and this six weeks the virtue was acceptance and the Principal's lunch was leadership.  The kids voted for Kendra as the person who showed the most leadership in our class!  This is a big honor---our principal grills hot dogs for these select kids and they get to eat with him.  Pretty dang cool. 

EASTER EGGS:  Time again for the annual egg coloring.  I know Easter is next weekend, but I had a hankering for some egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week!  I got the traditional PAAS kit again this year, and it had TWELVE color tabs!  Goodness, remember when it was only 6?!  I boiled 12 eggs last night, but we dyed the eggs after lunch and I just couldn't wait for that sandwich!  Hence, only 11 eggs colored.



Yeah, it is in the 80's outside, but Kendra is wearing her fuzzy monkey WINTER jammies.  We are totally "jammies after church" people.



BEAVERS:  Kendra had an assignment for school to do an animal research project.  We are studying the wetlands biome, and she was assigned to research the beaver.  I made the assignment VERY open-ended--the kids could do anything they wanted that adequately shared the research they gathered about their animal.  Kendra loves to work with clay, so the first part of her project was to make this:


Isn't he cute???? She did a great job.  But of course, that's not all.  I love, love, LOVE technology, so I taught her how to use this neat online tool called VoiceThread.  SUPER easy to use, and makes a great presentation in her voice, but it is recorded so she doesn't have to memorize or read the information to the class.  If you are aching to learn more about the beaver, you can click here and you can see it.  Check it out if even for just a few slides...it is pretty neat.  She also made an online quiz to do with the class.  You can click here if you have a burning desire to see it, too.  I  have a feeling she will be getting a 100 on this assignment.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the piano. It wasn't really a choice in my family (especially with my mom being a piano/organ teacher to this day). It was at times a source of contention but I'm glad that my mom "made" us play. She gave us the choice in junior high, my brothers stopped but I played til high school. I think we are all grateful because yes, we are smarter! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She looks so grown up all of a sudden! Kendra looks lovely in her dress. Great homework assignment and the beaver ROCKS! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took piano as a young girl and, while I didn't really HATE it, I also didn't LOVE it but fast forward to today and I wish I had stuck with it...seems like it would be a great way to relieve some tension of day-to-day life. Sigh, but at the age of 12 I didn't have the wisdom to see this :)

    At least you were able to see her in a recital :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I'm in the mood for an egg salad sandwich...

    Kendra is so cute in her red dress! And, I can see her side in the great piano debate. I took piano for a few years as a kid, but it never really took. I can't say that I regret learning it, but I also can't say that I regret giving it up. I think it just wasn't in the cards for me to be a great piano player, but it is nice to be able to read music and pick out a simple melody in a pinch. Of course, maybe now that it's her choice, Kendra will find she's not ready to give it up yet. And if she does, okay. She'll find other ways to shine. She's a great kid!

    ReplyDelete